Gifts Certificates for Every Business
The Sprocket Report
‘Tis the season! Folks love to bask in the warm fuzzy feeling they get when presenting a loved one with a brightly wrapped gift. Give your customers the warm fuzzies and your business an extra boost by offering gift certificates for your product or service.
Restaurants and storefronts are obvious choices for gift certificates, but nearly every business can offer a gift certificate of some sort. Read on for 5 great reasons why you should sell gift certificates and some suggestions on what you can offer:
- Your customer needs to buy a gift. By offering a gift certificate that they can buy and wrap up for someone else, you have satisfied that need.
- When the recipient redeems their certificate, you have the opportunity to woo a new customer for future purchases.
- Since you are selling this gift certificate – not donating it – it’s an actual sale that counts toward your bottom line.
- Offering gift certificates gives you something to talk about on social media, in press releases and in advertisements.
- You can use the gift certificates yourself as items to donate to a favorite cause or as goodwill offerings for unhappy customers.
So what can your business sell in gift certificate form? You'll want it to be of value, attractive and within the price range of your average customer. For instance, one of our clients is a collision repair shop. Certainly few would buy a gift certificate for the next time their teenager dents the family car. But all repaired cars are detailed, a service the shop provides regularly, and which makes a welcome and affordable gift.
Brainstorm gift certificate ideas that might work for you:
- A simple will written
- A URL of the family name
- One hour of coaching
- One tax return prepared
- A series of lessons
- One hour of maintenance
- And similar items that people buy from you or hire you to do.
Once you choose which products or services you can offer as gift items, you’ll need classy-looking certificates. VistaPrint is one of several online vendors who offer certificate services. Or consider creating a gift card. Check with your current credit card processing service to see what possibilities are already available to you.
If it’s too late to create a gift certificate program this season, take notes and do a little brainstorming so you can put it on the calendar – and on your website – next year. Ask us how you can sell gift certificates online. We’re always happy to help!